Terms & compliance
Zilla Security respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal data. This privacy notice aims to provide information about Zilla’s collection and processing of personal data.
This website is not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children.
We collect information about you in three ways: directly from your input, from third-party sources, and through automated technologies.
This privacy notice is issued on behalf of Zilla Security Inc. so when we mention “Zilla” we are referring to Zilla Security Inc. as the party responsible for processing your data.
We have appointed a data protection officer (DPO) who is responsible for overseeing questions in relation to Zilla’s privacy policies. If you have any questions, including any requests to exercise your legal rights, please contact the DPO using the details set out below.
Zilla Security Inc., a Delaware, USA company, is located at 8 Burnett Lane, Wellesley, MA 02481.
Email address: email@example.com
Changes to the privacy notice
This version was last updated on March 1, 2021. We reserve the right to make further changes at any time without further notice to you.
The data we collect about you
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified.
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data which we have grouped together as follows:
- Identity Data includes first name, last name, username or similar identifier, and title.
- Contact Data includes email address and telephone number.
- Technical Data may include internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website and all related Zilla websites.
- Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
We also collect and use aggregated statistical or demographic data. Aggregated data may be derived from your personal data but is not considered personal data in law as this data does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity. For example, we may aggregate your data to calculate the percentage of users accessing a specific website feature.
We do not collect any special categories of personal data (this includes details about race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, personal or social life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about health and genetic and biometric data). Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offenses.
How your personal data is collected
We use different methods to collect data from and about you, including through:
- Direct interactions. You may give us your identity and contact information by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by our website, phone, email or otherwise. This includes personal data you provide when you:
- Request information from us;
- Apply for a job with us;
- Subscribe to our news alerts, marketing communications and member forum;
- Enter a competition, promotion or survey;
- Give us feedback.
- Third parties or publicly available sources. We may receive personal data about you from various third parties and public sources as set out below:
- Technical Data from the following parties:
- (a) analytics providers such as Google;
- (b) advertising networks such as LinkedIn and Facebook; and
- (c) search information providers such as Chrome, Bing and Yahoo.
- Technical Data from the following parties:
- Automated technologies or interactions. As you interact with our website, we may automatically collect technical data about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns.
We collect this personal data by using cookies, server logs and other similar technologies. We may also receive technical data about you if you visit other websites employing our cookies.
How we use your personal data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform a contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you.
- To provide you with information about our products and services that you have requested.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
Generally we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data other than in relation to sending third party direct marketing communications to you via email or text message. You have the right to withdraw consent to marketing at any time by contacting us.
Purposes for which we will use your personal data
We have set out below, in a table format, all the ways we plan to use your personal data, and the legal basis we rely on to do so. We have also identified our legitimate interests where appropriate.
|Type of data
|Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest
|To register you as a new customer
|Performance of a contract with you
|Necessary for our legitimate interests (to evaluate your application for employment)
To manage our relationship with you which will include:
(a) Notifying you about changes to
(b) Asking you to leave a review
(d) Marketing and Communications
(a) Performance of a contract with you
(b) Necessary to comply with a legal obligation
(c) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to keep our records updated and to study how customers use our products/services
|To enable you to partake in a prize draw, competition or complete a survey
(e) Marketing and Communications
(a) Performance of a contract with you
(b) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to study how customers use our products/services, to develop them and grow our business)
|To administer and protect our business and this website (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system
maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data)
(a) Necessary for our legitimate interests (for running our business, provision of administration and IT services, network security, to prevent fraud and in the context of a business reorganization or group restructuring exercise)
(b) Necessary to comply with a legal obligation
|To use data analytics and customer interaction information to enhance
and improve our website,
products/services, marketing, customer relationships and experiences, such as adding new content and features
|Necessary for our legitimate interests (to define types of customers for our products and services, to keep our website updated and relevant, to understand how our services are used, to develop our business and to inform our marketing strategy)
|To make suggestions and recommendations to you about goods or services that may be of interest to you
|Necessary for our legitimate interests (to develop our products/services and grow our business)
Marketing and Promotional offers from us
We may use your Identity, Contact, Technical, Usage and Profile Data to form a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we decide which products, services and offers may be relevant for you (we call this marketing).
You will receive marketing communications from us if you have requested information from us or purchased goods or services from us or if you provided us with your details when you entered a competition or registered for a promotion and, in each case, you have not opted out of receiving that marketing.
We will get your express opt-in consent before we share your personal data with any company outside Zilla for marketing purposes. We periodically appoint digital marketing agents to conduct marketing activity on our behalf. Our carefully selected partners and service providers may process information about you on our behalf. Such activity may result in the compliant processing of personal information.
You can ask us or third parties to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you or by contacting us at any time at firstname.lastname@example.org
Where you opt out of receiving these marketing messages, this will not apply to personal data which may be provided to us as a result of being a Zilla customer.
IP addresses and cookies
- Display Network Impression Reporting
- Demographics and Interest Reporting
We also collect information about your computer, such as IP address, operating system and browser type, and we may also track which pages on our website you visit and how long you spend on each page.
Change of purpose
We will only use your personal data for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If you wish to get an explanation as to how the processing for the new purpose is compatible with the original purpose, please contact us.
Please note that we may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
Disclosures of your personal data
In order to fulfill the purposes set out in the table above, we may share your personal data with internal and external third parties. We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
In addition, we will share your personal data where we are under a legal obligation to do so.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorized way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
Your legal rights
You have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us.
- Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have successfully exercised your right to object to processing (see below), where we may have processed your information unlawfully or where we are required to erase your personal data to comply with local law. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
- Withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact us.
What we may need from you
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights).
Time limit to respond
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within 30 days. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.